Air race touches down
(For middle school students. )
1. Obtain a world map. Track a path from London-to-Sydney which passes through fifteen countries? Give some reasons why you choose the path that you decided to take.
2. On average, how many kilometres did each aircraft fly each day?
3. Find the average speed the planes travelled at each day?
4. Obtain a scaled map of Australia. Given the average distance and speed travelled each day by these aircraft, design a race within Australia which would last two days. Make sure the race departs and arrives in a town or city.
5. Write about another event using the numbers 31, 28 days, 15, and 22,000 kms.
(Written by Matt Groves, BTeach student, University of Tasmania, 2001)
Where to next?
Index - Related articles
Index - Number
Main Index - Numeracy in the News