Dude, here's your car...
For Middle School grade 7/8, but could easily be extended to
- On average, how many cars are stolen in Tasmania annually?
- Of these cars stolen, how many are from the North of the
- Based on the data, could you predict how many convictions
are made in Tasmania yearly? Explain how.
- If car thefts have increased 125% over the past five years,
what was the rate of car theft crime five years ago?
- Can we expect the rate of car theft to increase or decrease
in the future? Why/why not?
- Extended Task... Make a list of expected expenses incurred
from having your car stolen.
From these figures make two budgets, the first being the costs
of having a car and the second the costs incurred from the loss
of your car. Monetary values for inevitable hassles will hard
to be made, although consideration for these should be taken
(Written by Sam Nogajski, BTeach student, University of Tasmania,
Where to next?
Index - Related
Index - Inference
- Numeracy in the News