A Tasmanian pest since 1827
- For how long has the rabbit been a pest in Australia?
- Thomas Austin released two dozen rabbits in 1859. How many
rabbits is that?
- Over what distance did the rabbits spread to Queensland and
the south west of Western Australia from Geelong? (Compare your
answers to the distances given in an atlas).
- If the rabbits had not become genetically resistant to myxomatosis,
how long do you estimate it would have taken to eradicate the
last 100 million? Is this the exact amount of time it would have
taken? Why? Why not?
- How many different numbers can you make from the years mentioned
in the article? (eg. 1827, 8271, 2718, 7821, 8712, 2871 etc.)
(Written by Kelly Jeffrey, BTeach student, University of Tasmania,
Where to next?
Index - Related
Index - Number
- Numeracy in the News