Calvin and Hobbes - Difficult sums
- Why is this cartoon funny?
- Has Hobbes helped Calvin?
- Does Hobbes understand the problem?
- How many ways can you solve Calvin's problem?
- What are the mistakes that Hobbes has made in his answer?
(Written by Geoffrey Howells, BTeach student, University of
- Who has more confidence in his/her maths ability, Calvin
or Hobbes? Give reasons for your answer.
- Has anyone (including teachers) ever convinced you to do
a maths problem in a way that you really do not understand? If
your answer is "Yes", give an example.
- Write down anything "Good" about the solution.
- List all the mistakes you can find in the "solution".
- Do you think that a confident maths student is necessarily
a good maths student?
- Explain why students should know their tables or number facts.
- Is the teacher always right?
- Do you think that Hobbes ever listened in his maths class?
- Is a little mathematical knowledge a dangerous thing?
- What important maths facts did Hobbes miss because he was
dreaming/talking, when the teacher taught them?
(Written by Kathy Blum, Teacher)
Where to next?
Index - Related
Index - Number
- Numeracy in the News