Teen skin cancer alarm
- Assuming that this survey questioned half boys and half girls,
how many students in the sample had experienced sunburn during
the previous summer?
- Using the percentage figures for those who usually or always
wore a hat and the kind of hat preferred, answer the following
questions. What overall percentage of boys wore baseball hats?
What overall percentage of girls wore baseball hats? What overall
percentage of boys wore wide-brimmed hats? What overall percentage
of girls wore wide-brimmed hats?
- Assuming that the survey questioned half boys and half girls,
how many girls and boys are represented in each of the above
- Draw a graphical representation to show the comparison of
boys and girls and their tendency to wear different kinds of
hats. What figures will you use in the graph?
- One paragraph in the article says the following: "six
or more cases of sunburn more than doubled the risk of getting
melanoma". Write a conditional probability statement showing
the increased risk of melanoma if one has been sunburned six
or more times.
Where to next?
Index - Related
Index - Data
Collection and Sampling
- Numeracy in the News