Crunch time for number
- Suggest three varied reasons based on the information in
the article for choosing the number 8 in Tattslotto. Which if
any are convincing? Why or why not?
- At a casual glance at the numbers in the table, do you think
the lottery is running fairly? How could you test this?
- Draw a line plot (a line labelled from 83 to 124 with x's
above for the 45 frequencies in the table) and discuss what you
observe in the distribution of frequencies. Does it seem unusual?
- If you have studied the normal distribution, calculate the
mean and standard deviation. What percentage of the values lie
within one standard deviation of the mean? Is this what you would
expect for a normal distribution? What about the percentage of
values outside of two standard deviations?
- Devise a simulation (using actual draws or a computer) for
a Tattslotto draw. How do your results compare with the figure?
- If you have studied the Chi-square goodness-of-fit test,
use it to see if the numbers in the table fit a uniform distribution.
Where to next?
Index - Related
Index - Chance
and Basic Probability
- Numeracy in the News